How do you clean multiple eggs efficiently?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brahma Mamma, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    We are raising about 400 laying hens right now. It has occurred to us that the vinegar spray individual egg cleaning will be time consuming with sooo many eggs coming. Does anyone have a great method to wash lots of eggs? We estimate about 150 per day because we have RIR, sexlinks, and rock-barred hens.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    You could check CL for a used egg washer. If your going to get that many eggs you may wish to invest in a new egg washer.

Have to ask what is this "vinegar spray"?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    my son used to work at a poultry farm and they retrofitted an old dishwasher and disabled the element so they had manual control of the temp of water.

it was just jets of water and vinegar, the really dirty eggs get a prewash before going in.... he siad when one dishwasher bites the dust they look on craigslist or in the newspaper for another cheap one

4. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    Quote:Thanks Rancher! First time I've heard of an egg washer. I'll check into it. We use diluted apple vinegar in a spray bottle to wash the eggs.

5. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    Quote:Thanks Dar! That's a great idea!

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    he said all they did to retrofit the dishwasher was line the dish racks with screen to prevent the eggs from falling through. All the eggs did not go into the dishwasher only the dirty ones. After the wash they got coated with a light coat of veggie oil to reseal the egg like a natural bloom

7. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Total newbie question here, but should eggs always be cleaned?
    I thought as long as the hens don't get in the habit of sleeping/hanging out in the nest boxes and eggs are collected regularly they stayed pretty clean... is this more for bigger operations or does everyone wash their eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by