How do you clean the feeders and waterers?

I can't think when I cleaned a regular feeder used by the adults. It's dry pellets or dry crumble -- nothing in there that can spoil unless it gets wet.

I clean the chicks' feeders before I start a new batch since it's possible that a rodent got into them while they were in storage. Hot water and dish soap.

Waterers get rinsed out and brushed every time they're refilled. They get hot water, dish soap, and *maybe* a spritz with bleach cleaner if they get scummy or grow algae in hot weather.

I LOATHE open waterers and use horizontal nipple waterers specifically to help keep the water clean.

Mine are these feeders so no need to clean
Screenshot_20220123-121828_Facebook.jpg

Off topic, but how do you keep them from freezing in the winter? I'm just about done with my open waterer setup. They spill it instantly, and if they don't, shavings are soaking up all the water by the next day. :barnie

Um, mainly by living in a climate where it rarely remains below freezing in the daytime. ;) 🤣

Premier 1 makes a heated horizontal nipple waterer and they're supposed to work well with DIY heater setups.

Back
Top Bottom