How do you clean your brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken0Boy, May 23, 2010.

1. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

My 1 week chicks just got off paper towels, so how am I supposed to clean wood chips?

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Put the seasoned wood chips out on the garden, your tomatoes and peppers will love you, replace with fresh wood chips in the brooder.

3. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    How many babies do you have? I put down shavings and depending on the size of your brooder, number of chicks etc dictates how often you clean it out. I have had up to 30 chicks in the appropriate space, strip and clean at least once a week with new shavings. I use a shovel, broom etc to get it totally clean - and add new shavings at least 2-3 inches. During the week I will at a top layer of clean shavings as needed. Good Luck!

4. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    If you have a small brooder and a few chicks then use a small dust broom and a small dust pan to clean it out [​IMG].

5. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 25. What is the appropriate amount of space for that amount?

6. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I use a 50 gal plastic tub (Lowes for $20). It is extra huge when they are very young, but it will be nessesary while they grow until they are ready to go out to the coop. I just hate to switch the chicks from one container to another as they grow. It works for me. I change the wet/dirty shavings as often as nessesary...some times this is daily. Your nose will let you know.[​IMG] Like others have mentioned, a hand broom & dustpan works well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by