How do you Clean your Brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tammylynn4647, Mar 5, 2013.

1. tammylynn4647

tammylynn4647 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi All!
    My week old chicks have graduated from paper towels to pine shavings. I need to clean out their living area today but not sure how to do it..(they are in a galvanized tub similar to those found at TSC). Should I just clean around the chicks or try to wrangle the little chirp balls into a different container? As they are so young I am trying not to stress them out too much, but with dealing with poopy butt and constantly changing out their water, I am afraid of causing them even more stress! How do you all do it? btw, we are only talking about 6 chicks (3 barred rocks and 3 jersey giants). Thanks!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    hi, i get a box and put the chicks in a different box because the shavings cause a lot of dust and idon't want the chicks breathing the dust. then i scoop out the old shavings and put fresh shavings in. wipe the plastic with water and dry it if poop is on the plastic. i once tried to do it around the chicks but it caused far too much dust and i don't want them to breathe the dust. Hope this helps. my brooder is very large though so i really use a lot of shavings! that's what causes the dust. however if your brooder is small you night be able to do it around the chicks if it won't cause a lot of dust.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

When I have chicks I usually have a ton of chicks! I usually clean 1/2 of the brooder at a time so that they can run and hide on the other half.

4. gunshyvw

gunshyvw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Plymouth, Indiana
    I line the bottom of my brooder with newspaper. I take the chicks to their 'vacation home' which is a cardboard box with some clean shavings only in the bottom. Roll up the newspaper in the brooder, shove it in a grocery bag to take to the compost pile, scoop out the rest of the shvings that didn't get caught in the paper, put down new paper, new shavings, then return the chicks. They seem to be doing great, and the whole process takes 5 minutes, including the trip to the compost bin!

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

This is how I clean as well. Scoop just past half of the litter out while chicks go to the other side. I put fresh litter back in the first half and then clean out the other side. I used a plastic dustpan for a scoop and it worked great!

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    For me it's less fuss and muss to simply put them in a empty cardboard box and then clean the entire brooder. Dump them back in when done. But it's whatever works for you.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    When my chicks were in the rubbermaid tote brooder, I popped them (5) into a paper bag while I cleaned the brooder. If you put a paper towel in the bottom of the bag, you can just fold the bag up when you're done cleaning and save it for the next time. They've since graduated to a tractor/brooder in my family room with shavings. My plan is to just keep stirring and adding shavings as needed until they are ready to go outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by