How do you clean your Button Quail enclosures?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jacob Duckman, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Jacob Duckman

Jacob Duckman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    My batch of quails are reaching two weeks old and are starting to jump really high. I'm using a clear rubbermaid container with a bugscreen top. How on earth do I change the straw bedding or clean the cage without them jumping out?

Moving them one by one is going to be a huge pain... and cleaning while they are in the cage doesn't sound safe...

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I have coturnix quail, not button quail, but I had to pick them up one by one to another cage with a padded top while I cleaned them. It's a chore, lol.

I have a fresh sand container in the temporary cage so they can keep busy by dustbathing instead of fretting :p

An idea may be to get a big container of sand with a screen on top, put it in, wait till they're all bathing then plug the entrance and move it to the temp cage or keep them in there while you clean the main cage - not sure if that'll be ideal, would depend on the size of the container and how many quail and if they would all be mezmorized with fresh sand (you can put some finch seed mix in there for them for extra enticement lol).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Jacob Duckman

Jacob Duckman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    I like that sand box idea. To the Home Depot! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by