How do you clean your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrenchFamily, Aug 21, 2012.

1. FrenchFamily

FrenchFamily Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012

I bring mine in and wash them with soap and hot water. I was told that it was "disgusting" and doesn't get all the germs off. Psh. My eggs are clean and Yummy! People are so cruel Ames lack basic knowledge in need to survive. So, how do you clean your eggies!?

2. FrenchFamily

FrenchFamily Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    Whoops apparently I lack the knowledge to spell correctly.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
  4. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    I wash mine with soap and hot water, so I guess I am just as disgusting as you! [​IMG]

5. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Soap and hot water.. We are all just a bunch of digusting, germ eating weirdos..

6. JeffOeuf

JeffOeuf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Springfield Missouri
    Well, I must be really disgusting, because I don't wash them at all. My four pullets don't foul their nest, and the eggs are perfectly clean coming out of the nest, so they go straight to the refrigerator.

I suppose if I were to ramp up and start selling eggs, I would have to find some sort of cleaning method, but for personal consumption, I have no intention of washing away nature's protection.

7. heidimull

heidimull New Egg

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    I also wash my eggs with hot water and soap to avoid any type of salmonella but I would do the same for veggies that grow on the ground in my garden. Someone told me the other day they were afraid to eat my eggs because they were unpasteurized. Since I am fairly new to having chickens/eggs I googled unpasteurized eggs and everything I could find said that eggs you buy in supermarkets aren't pasteurized either. Has anyone else heard of this?

8. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    That is something I was just editing my last post to include. If it is not dirty by the wet droppings I just pop them in the fridge. I hate to wash off the bloom if I dont have to .

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't wash eggs for personal consumption.

For my customers, I collect the eggs, put them in a big bowl and soak them in warm water for about 5 minutes then rinse and wipe with a clean cloth or paper towel.

10. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    I am disgusting too..lol! I take the eggs right from the nest and they go right in my basket on the kitchen counter. Unless an egg is dirty, I do nothing but crack em' open, cook em' and eat em'!!!!! ~Beulah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by