How do you clip chicken wings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gwendalynn28, May 6, 2011.

1. gwendalynn28

gwendalynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Hi,
    I have 8 new baby chicks a friend gave to me and they are almost a month old. They can fly pretty good and I've seen postings for "wing clipping" and I don't know what that means. I'm new to raising chickens! Could someone explain this process in a way that a severe chicken amateur can understand? I have a large chicken fenced area with my three broilers in it and when these little chickens get a little bigger, I'd like to merge the two groups. I would really like for them to share this space because its so big, but I don't want them getting out. I live out in the country with lots of critters that would love to eat them. Is it safe to put a piece of electric fencing around the top or would them fly right over it with no effect? Any suggestions anyone?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Clipping wings is just the ends of the main flight feathers. Many people just do one side to keep them off balance. It may limit there ability to get away from predators, if they are outside.

Here's instructions

http://www.poultryhelp.com/wingclipping.html

Imp

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Is the "large fenced area" your yard? Or is it a large chicken run? If it's a run, could you put poultry netting over the top of it? Or is it just too large an area to cover?

4. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    youtube chicken wing cutting

5. gwendalynn28

gwendalynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    The area I have is all my property and the fence is way too large to cover with poultry netting. I have a corner of the large fence sectioned off and covered for now since they are still small. I have 3.54 acres of land with 80 acres of woods behind it. We have a lot of hawks and owls flying overhead as well. Snakes have been a problem for us since we moved here as well. A snake bit my pomeranian and killed her. I want these chickens to have space to roam in the big pen but I don't want to make them fast food for all the predators that are around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by