How do you control odor in the house?

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
I have a batch of ducklings from which I'm planning to keep three or four. For once, I want to raise them to love human hands and not think I'm trying to kill them. So in addition to regular treats, I want to keep them on my desk by my computer. I usually do this the first few days anyway, but since my dh and I share an office, I have to take his sensory concerns into consideration: i.e., he thinks they stink (huh? what smell?). Any tips for controlling the odor so I don't stink my beloved out of the room with my babies?

Thanks!

I have three brooders in the house..and tonight after washing two adults for a show- the smell of wet duck is through half the house and I cant smell the brooders....
gig.gif
But seriously..I have a few spray cans of air freshner- and also a plug in in the electrical socket that gives the air a nice burst of flower scent every half hour or so. Regular cleaning is the only real way I know of- but they are so messy you would have to change it every few hours to ensure no smell at all.

Clean, clean, clean, clean, clean, clean, clean...
lol.png
Oh yeah and clean and clean and clean...
lau.gif

On second thought maybe you could just hang and air freshener on the hubby...
gig.gif

I haven't noticed a difference with the PDZ personally. But people swear by it so maybe I'm not using enough or something. But, I do love the wood pellets. Much better than towels, or hay, or just regular shavings, IMO. And they last longer because they break down into fine sawdust and can be scooped somewhat like litter. But still, it seems that there is just going to be some smell unless you are over the top, crazy about cleaning that brooder. I cleaned mine 2X a day, but 3 or 4 times would have been better for odor controll.

Thanks, guys! I have to go to the feed store today, so I'll pick up some PDZ. And yeah, I do clean--twice a day--that's as much as I can manage! But MAN they make it smelly again fast!

It'll be better when I'm down to the three or four I'm keeping instead of the ten that are currently in there. But then I know it gets worse again as they grow so...

Thanks for the tips... anyone tried baking soda under the bedding? I may add that too, unless someone says it's a bad idea for some reason...

Thank you!

I know, and I could never manage more than 2Xs a day either. Good luck with your new duckies! I hope they turn out friendly and sweet for you!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom