How do You Control The humidity inside of the Chicken incubator?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anjaneep, Oct 7, 2012.

1. anjaneep

anjaneep Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    I dont want my chickens to drown so can anyone tell me how to control the humidity

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    What kind of incubator do you have? Mine is a home-built and I use some bowls for water on the bottom of the cooler. A piece of 1/4" hardware cloth cut to the exact dimensions of the cooler sits over the water bowls, and then I have a piece of the rubberized shelf liner, as a soft surface for the eggs to sit on (and for the chicks to hatch on). The water evaporates up through the shelf liner to create humidity but because the water bowls are under the hardware cloth shelf, the chicks do not have access to them. Hope this helps.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    water surface area is what makes it rise not the ammount,,,, what bator?
    [​IMG]

4. anjaneep

anjaneep Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    my bater look like this [​IMG][​IMG]
    its home made

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That's a neat idea putting the eggs in those watchamacallits to keep them from rolling all over the place. What I would do, is cut a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth as a shelf to put under that. Place your bowls of water under the hardware cloth, and then replace the watchamacallit and eggs on top of the shelf. That way you can increase your humidity for lockdown without risk of the chicks getting into the bowls and drowning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by