How do you "cull" your chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by InviteTanner, Mar 14, 2011.

1. InviteTanner

InviteTanner In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    I know how to cull an animal that's not producing, or doesn't meet the breed standard. You give it away or sell it. But how do you guys cull a chick that has a deformity, but it's not having difficulty eating or drinking?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    The baby chicks, I hold them down with their necks stretched out,chin down, and tap the back of their head with a handle of the kitchen knife. Beware, sometiems parts don't stay where god put them when you do that. And they might bleed some.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    Some people use a sharp pair of scissors or shears to decapitate. You can also do cervical dislocation - to do this, lay them down with a blunt object (like a pencil or butter knife) holding their head in place. Grab their feet and stretch - you'll feel a pop and they will be gone - very quick, easy and humane.

Another method is the vinegar and baking soda method - put them in a closed, tightly sealed container and add a fair amount of vinegar to baking soda (maybe 1-2 cups of each). This will produce CO2 gas which will suffocate them. Another very humane method.

Good luck.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    For me the easiest method has been to hold the body with one hand, the head with the other, and pull sharply.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Starter fluid (ether) soaked rag in an enclosed can.

6. InviteTanner

InviteTanner In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    OMG you guys, I mean OMG. LOL OK, lot's of ideas here and I'll try one of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: