How do you cut a plastic tub to make it look neat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by what did I do, Mar 12, 2013.

1. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I'm going to have some chicks on display at a nursing home. The home has a young cat living there I know I need a screen on the top and a viewing window on the side. I have an ecoglow brooder to put inside. Suggestions? Help!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. what did I do

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    What kind of tool do you use to make a neat cut in the side of the plastic tub?

3. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    We used plastic tubs to make nest boxes and I cut a hole with a new utility knife. It wasn't easy but it worked and looks pretty good!

4. CarriesPeeps

CarriesPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Priest River, Idaho
    I used a router to cut mine out.

5. Child of Noah

Child of Noah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Upstate New York
    I used a clear Sterilite stackable. I have cats and a dog who were bound to be curious. Not that I am trying to sell that particular brand, but it was the one which happened to be on sale, so I was lucky. It was straight-sided so I didn't lose floor space, and the plastic was softer and less brittle (more like a butter tub, less like a Barbie house). I was able to cut the top with a utility knife.
    It was clear so I didn't need to cut a "window" in the side. I could still see the babies, but no heat loss. Also, there was less of a place for baby-chick-smell to seep out and taunt my cats and dog.

6. akchick76

akchick76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    I cut mine with a jigsaw and a fine blade. I followed the inner grove on the lid, the drilled small holes about 1/2 inch from cut edge so I could zip-tie the 1/2" "fencing". I also used a clear tote and did not do a side window. The opening on the lid covers most of the area, extra ventilation not necessary.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. what did I do

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    Thank you all for the tips. I'm going to look for a clear plastic tub this next week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by