How do you deal with mice?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicken farmer, Nov 19, 2013.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Post any tips or how you get rid of mice in the coop

2. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    cats :)

3. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    Do most of them get along with chickens or do they try to attack them?

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have a barn cat, he is fine with mine BUT not all cats are the same, regardless.. i would be closing up gaps that are allowing mice in. I have no mice in my coops and believe there are mice here, i know my scovies would kill them, they love frogs.. blech.. but i have yet(knock on wood) to see a mouse in any coop here and a few do contain feed/water so it's not for lacking of enticement.

5. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I don't have mice *knock on wood* but I do have a few cats in the neighborhood (one of which was stalking around next door) My Roo sounds the alarm when it's around (which has only been a couple of times so far) They can come around as long as they don't try to get my girls lol

6. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I actually use live traps for mice (you can try these), and then turn them loose during the day in an open area where the chickens can see them.

Mice move, and they move fast. But chickens LOVE eating things that move! As soon as they see the mouse move, they will be after it and attack it, and kill it. Then they'll eat it. And it's killing two birds with one stone - you get rid of the mouse, and you feed your chickens!

And those traps I linked above are very effective when fresh-scooped PEANUT BUTTER (on a cracker) is used as the bait. I captured so many mice that way, I practically had an entire colony's worth! The chickens sure appreciated it though! The only problem is that the mice would get peanut butter all over themselves and the inside of the trap trying to escape, and then I'd have to clean the trap. Sometimes I didn't though. I left the inside coated with peanut butter smears to help attract more!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  7. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I have two cats am they are fine with chickens. you need to make sure they grow up with them and are used to rhem

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I was just thinking yesterday about using this method!

9. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Those traps are definitely worth it!

10. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    My rooster deals with mice. He's quite adamant that they do not belong in his house. I have witnessed him leave the roost after dusk, take out a squeaking little long tailed thing, and go back to the roost like nothing happened. Maybe he's crazy, but I love him. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by