how do you deal with those that don't get it?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jdywntr, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So, I took this pic today and posted it on Facebook saying "The beginning of the end. LOL".

[​IMG]

I posted this jokingly though I did buy the axe today so that I can process a duck for Thanksgiving. Now, I have received many replies such as "I may never eat chicken again"

Most of my friends/aquantances don't get my wanting to be self sufficient. But how do you deal with the attitudes of others who pretend that stuff they buy at the store was never alive?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

it amazes me that some people think grocery store purchased meat comes from "humanely raised animals" while eating meat from hunted or home raised animals is "cruel"...[​IMG]

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    ROFLMAO well first I would point out to your friend that you are getting ready to process a DUCK not a chicken....lol

I have had quite a few people think that I'm the spawn of satan including my family. Surprisingly most have come around after coming over for dinner. Otherwise I ignore them....they don't know what they are missing. While I'm not a "the world is ending!" type I don't think there is anything wrong with being self sufficient in case the powers that be decide to ruin the world and we will NEED these skills.

4. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    You really kill them with an axe? I can understand how someone might think that was a bit cruel. Of course Ive ripped the heads of quite a few birds so Im not innocent, but pulling there heads off seems the most humane way imo.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:Yikes, I'd think pulling heads off would be worse but then I have not "done the deed" yet. But after much research and watching of videos online, I don't think I could slit throats. The way I see it (and have gotten advice on) is if the head is braced (such as between 2 nails) slight pressure to stretch and then whack and its over. I have heard/read "horror stories" on BYC of people trying to slit throats or break necks and the animal lived and they ended up chasing them around. Ducks are supossed to have much stronger necks than chickens too.

I figure a quick decisive whack will end it fast.

I actually have a very nice expensive unused meat cleaver that has been sitting in my knife drawer for years. I'm thinking I may use that and save the $20 for the axe but not sure yet.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    You are the winner and they are the losers. My friends laugh at me but they support me as to what I want to do and enjoy doing. I will never be self sufficient but could survive if needed. If I had started earlier (not with old age and arthritis) I would have done more. Good luck and don't worry about the uninformed (I want to say ignorant) as they don't know or want to know.

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:I also wanted to say ignorant or uninformed but figured I would be as nice as possible. [​IMG]

Thanks everone. I know that I will have more folks not "get it". Heck, my DH is not really onboard with this whole thing says he will NOT help but I know that he will eat it. [​IMG]

8. diornisextant

diornisextant Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    I rub their noses in it , or rub it in their noses, Either way. They've got no business being righteous about it if they eat poultry of any kind, beef or pig or any other animal flesh including eggs and cheese. And what's on their feet anyway ?? Go vegan and waste away it'll leave more room for food animals. [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I first say happy food is healthy food... if they still don't get it... I rest in knowing I am a total freak of nature and am loving it! (In other words, I don't waste my time making someone get something they are unwilling to hear.)

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:I think I will start living that. [​IMG]

I have said to them that at least I know that mine had a good life. They don't get it. I really don't care (too much). They also think it odd that I was FINALLY able to talk DH into moving. In ~1 year we will be purchasing a small homestead in an as yet unknown state. [​IMG] (We have not yet agreed where. He wants MA and I want NC so we will see. )

The friends thought I was odd when I got the chickens (we ARE in the suburbs). Though they had no problem taking extra eggs. [​IMG] The ducks I think threw them for a loop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by