How do you deal with your kids and the economy?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jan 30, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    OK things are going to be tight around here and DH and I are both worried.
    [​IMG]

I know the kids know we are worried and we've been fairly open with them while trying to reassure them that they will not lose their home or anything like that.

(There are not guarantees of that, it is a long shot, but I don't want them to worry.) [​IMG]

How are you addressing the issue with your children??

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Our kids are old enough - 18 next month and 19. They STILL don't get it. I know the 19 year does more than the 18 yo.... 18 year old doesn't understand that if his friend comes to live with us he will cost money. Kid says he will eat half of what he usually does and share with him. [​IMG] How do you beat something into theirs heads.

I am assuming your kids are younger than hard headed teens!!

3. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Hmm.. I suppose it depends on the ages of the kids really..

I wouldnt discuss our finances with my kids directly, kids have too much to worry about as it is I think. My 10 y/o DS is a worrier by nature - he wants to watch the news every night -(we wont let him for obvious reasons), he worries about Global Warming and the environment, he worries about the war in Russia...(yeah did I mention he's 10?) He asks questions about WWIII and "what if" scenario's - and I"ve found ALOT of kids his age and younger actually have fears and worries. So we try not to let them hear our worries. We also tell him its not his job to worry about whether or not we have enough money to pay something or if we'll be homeless (again - on the news...and it doesnt help his uncle and aunt got laid off from their jobs and he knows this) - so while his fears are very real - we try to quell them as best we can and let him be a kid, as he should be; and let the adult things be left with us, in private discussion out of earshot if at all possible.

We just tell the kids that we need to cut back due to the economic situation and "Feed the Pig" vs. feeding the stores. That ususally works. Our 18 y/o understands very well what's going on so we dont need to explain anything to her - she's fully aware of what things cost as she's preparing for college herself.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've always been up front with my kids about my current economic situation. When they couldn't grasp the deeper meaning of this, I let them try to pay the bills from the monthly income. This is a real eye opener to kids....the facts of life.

I wouldn't dwell too much on the possibility of losing your home but I would explain that times are tight and going to get tighter, so to be prepared for paring down, doing without luxuries and helping each other get past this...financially and emotionally.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Our kids are little and I think my 8 year old is buddies with your ten year old.

She hears everything! And she overhears stuff and draws her own conclusions so we needed to give her more of an idea than I wanted to because a.) she notices that daddy is not going to work... b.) she overheard granma asking DH about it and jumped to really BAD conclusions!

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    My kids only have to cut back on fast food every now and then and going to the movies. But we still buy a movie a month and pizza to go along with it. THey know that dad wont loose his job since he is in the army.We are trying to keep their lives as hapy as possible.My oldest worries more about those child murder cases and salmonella than anything else. Sebastian my special needs kiddo is just happy when he gets to school on wednesday and its time to go to the Y for swimming. Sam my little DD doesnt catch it yet I guess.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  7. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I have what..

Here's an idea that helped with my son...and I dont know if you can do it given the circumstances but..if you can, it certainly helped with our little guy.

Try giving your little ones $1.00 a week each (or whatever you can afford) - and they can earn it however you see fit - even by telling them "you have a new job - and your new job is not to worry about Mom and Dad. In doing so, you each get XX a week - BUT..the rules of this job are if Mom or Dad hear you worry or ask us about anything that is an "adult" thing to worry about - then the $$ goes back to the President (Mom or Dad) until next week. At the end of the week, if you choose, we will go to the dollar store for something special, or I'd recommend you save up your $$ to buy something you really want."

That way - they're learning the value of a dollar - and focusing on something THEY are in charge of and not focusing on you and Dad.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:We give our kids each 2$ each payday and they may spend it on whatever they want.

9. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    We don't talk too much about it, ours are 5.5yrs and 7yrs. But, they have noticed we don't go out to eat as much or do other things that cost money. (ChuckECheese trips, etc.) We also limited them to 1 activity at a time... hockey OR soccer, not both. We will also be skipping our summer vacation this year, so will have to find something special to do local instead of far away (easy to do in Colorado). They have also wondered why we drove to Grammy and Papaw's house for Thanksgiving instead of flying like we normally do. We explained it was $350 to drive and $900 to fly. We could use the money we save to do activities (their skating) or they could stop skating and we could fly. That made an impact on saving money. Sadly enough they also know to look for the sale stickers when we go shopping now (not really sad I guess- teaches them a good lesson).

10. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    After XMas we had a family meeting and reached understands of a few things that so far, we have all stuck to really well w/o major battles:

if you drive it, you gas it. no gas money means carpool with friends (that one is really tough on my newbie driver!!). If you drive it, change the oil, check it weekly and keep it clean.

don't like whats on the table - grab the cereal instead cause I will only make one meal for dinners and lunch. breakfast is where i get creative.

Friends stay only on weekends and no one during the week. if they are here weekends, they get chores to do, are expected to help around the house and farm and don't eat like pigs on holiday!!

if you don't wear it, or don't want it , I bag it and it'll be in the basement storage if you change your mind. Nothing new until the old is finished with...that one hasn't bugged them, they are big boned county boys and live in their t-shirts,hoodies, jeans,boots, and Carharts. No "slave to fashion" in my house!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by