1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Do You Decide on a Coop Design?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kimmypie, May 7, 2011.

1. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    I've looked at the garden coop and also this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicken-coop-pl...ultDomain_0&hash=item23108b2c9d#ht_500wt_1156 which seems nice because it can be put together with modular panels. We plan on having 4 chickens. The Garden Coop only has a 5x3 coop (although they say it can fit up to 8 full size hens!!) and the one I linked has 4x4. Neither of us are experienced builders so we need something fairly easy. Are there other suggestions for a small flock like ours? We really need a concrete set of plans that lay out eat step for us because we don't have the know how to just figure things out as we go along.

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I've seen the Garden Coop in person at the designers house during a coop tour. It is a very well done coop. A friend of mine, based on my recommendation, bought the plans and built the coop and he loves it. He said the construction was very straight forward and the plans very easy to follow. I've looked through the plans and without a doubt they are very easy step by step plans. The best part is if you have any issues you can simply email the designer and he'll answer your questions. The Garden Coop website had a sample of the plans to view last time I looked.

3. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    The thing about the garden coop is that the actual coop is only 3x5 so that's not big enough for 4 birds. Any other suggestions? I'm willing to look at anything.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What's your weather like in the summer and winter? That can make a difference in your coop plans. Both for ventilation needs and interior space.

5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Planning on 4 girls. Figure for eight as there are overlaps as you add a couple more every so often. 4 sq ft per bird equals 32 sq ft, a standard size sheet of ply wood. Very easy to build around this dimension of 4'x8'. You will never regret a little extra space and your girls will thank you. You will bemoan a lack of space every day.

6. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:We live in northern Utah so we have hot summers (usually hovering around 100 degrees F) and the winters can get really cold (lows below 0 degrees F happen but aren't common, but most of winter the lows are below freezing).

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    5x3 = 15; 4x4 = 16, not that much difference. But I agree with mdbokc. Build bigger than you need the 1st time! I have 4 small coops now. This year I am building one large enough for everyone! LOL

8. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    The Garden Coop is 10x6 and is good for up to 8 hens. Perhaps you're referring to a different coop. Here's their website. www.thegardencoop.com

9. kimmypie

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:The run is 10x6 but I emailed and asked the coop dimensions and he said the coop is 5x3. And I just don't see how that is big enough for 8 full size chickens based on what I've read here.

10. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I do not see how 10x6 60 sq ft can be enough for 8 hens. I am building a 10x6 for 4 hens and the coop itself will be 6x4. I want my ladies happy so the more room the better. I wish I could make mine bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by