How do you determine sex of new chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dmsalle, Dec 20, 2008.

1. dmsalle

dmsalle New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    I'm new here so forgive me if this has been discussed over and over again. My question is ..............is there a way to determine the sex of new born chicks? Do you have to wait for a period of time or can you have a pretty good idea shortly after hatching. I'm all ears. Thanks![​IMG]

2. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    It really depends on the breed of chick.Some can be sexed by color some you have to wait a few weeks to figure out.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    when they crow you know its a boy...[​IMG]..

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hello and [​IMG] !!! So glad that you have joined us!

The only fool proof way of sexing chicks is to wait until they are 4 or 5 wks. old. If, at that point, you see red wattles start growing along with a red comb, then it will be safe to say they are going to be a rooster. The pullets/hens combs and wattles start growing and getting red much later than the roosters do. It is usually around 20 wks. or so.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Most breeds start to develop the secondary sex characteristics around 4 to 6 weeks old. Knowing what to look for then allows you to make an educated guess. Before that, it's hopeless.

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I find vent sexing a good way to sex day-old chicks.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's cheating! You're trained in vent sexing! [​IMG]

OT - Mik, have you cleaned out your PM box yet? I've tried three times to offer you some brahma eggs in the spring, but your box is always full. [​IMG]

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    What breeds do you have? There are some breeds where the male and female are colored differently from birth to indicate sex. They are called Sex-Links. Other that old methods from wives tales, you'll just have to wait.

[​IMG]

And be aware, this forum is VERY addictive. From this point on, most of your free time will probably be spent here. Embrace the lunacy, its easier that way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by