How do you do AI - How how do you make a hen lay fertile eggs that is not with a rooster, but you ha

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scooter&Suzie, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I remember reading somewhere on how to massage near the rooster's vent in a way to collect his sperm (unless it is called by another name?) and then insert it into a hens vent. I heard that this is pretty much like having the rooster mate with the hen, but the hen is never with the rooster. If this is very complicated it probably isn't for me... I just would like to have fertile eggs (to hatch), but the bantam hen that is with the bantam roo isn't laying. I don't think the hens would welcome the little rooster, so I was trying to think of another method. Getting another rooster isn't an option, as I need to keep the noise down to a minimum.

2. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    so the hen that you wan't fertile eggs from isn't laying?

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So you have a rooster but it isn't with all of the hens?

If the hen you want to incubate eggs from isn't laying, you will need to wait until she starts. Egg laying has nothing to do with the roo.

Most roos are going to be bossy enough that the hens won't pick on it. I'd just try him with the other hens and see how it goes. Be there to supervise and make sure that you are there at night so he knows where to roost. It would be much easier than artificial insemination.

4. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Yep. It is just the cold weather/short day light. Plus, when I got her and the roo they both had a case of scaley leg mites. Her feet are almost better.

5. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Ummm... Well you see, there are different reasons why he is not with the rest. #1 - These two are show bantams, I don't want them to be with birds 4 times their size. #2 - He is a very very gentle rooster. My hens are very aggressive to new comers. #3 - Because I am not going to attempt to try to find a vein in the silkies' black skin for testing, the show pair need to be kept apart from the silkies and layers and cannot come near or in contact with any other birds. #4 His hen would need to come with him, and the silkies would attack the poor submissive thing. Plus, there would not be enough room. I guess I'll try to find the article and post it if I can...

I know that the rooster has nothing to do with egg laying. Well, unless you want your hen laying fertile eggs, which is what I want with my silkies.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So you're talking about AI? I don't know anything about it myself, but you might ask over on a Cochin thread. I know that breed sometimes uses AI due to the extreme butt fluff, so someone over there might be able to give you pointers. You might also want to re-title your post to ask specifically about AI to catch someone's attention.

7. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Oh ok. Well then I guess if you do some good research on the internet and find what you need you might just be able to artificially inseminate your hen! That's how people do it when they breed hybrids like chicken/pheasants or chicken/guinea! I no nothing about artificial insemination so I'm of no help! But if you do get the right info and try please open a thread and share your experience with us this type of stuff always interests me! [​IMG]
    Good luck!

8. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I found this video:

I'm planning on trying it sometime soon... After more research. I'll make a thread or an article about my experience [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by