How do you "dust" your chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Carli, May 23, 2010.

1. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    What do you use to dust with? How do you apply it?

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I use DE pretty regularly on everything from their feed to their bedding, When I want to dust them I just sprinkle it right over the top of them and they shake & work it in the DE layed on the floor takes care of their undersides. My birds have always been healthy and vibrant using this method.

AL

3. Carli

Carli Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    So do you just use a bowl or scooper to spread it? How much is too much?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I do as al posted, and I also mix some into the dirt where they do most of their dustbathing. Think of it as sprinkling talcum powder on a baby's butt...some put a little, some put quite a bit. I punched a bunch of holes in the lid of an old coffee creamer cannister and so I squeeze and shake it about from that. But I've also used a flour sifter before.

*** Make sure your DE is food grade/fresh water...safe for animals and humans to ingest.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:This stuff goes a long way, it's just like talcum powder consistancy so depending on how big your pen and run is it may only take 2 cup's or so shaken onto them anyway you please.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by