1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you eat canned peppers?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by HEChicken, Sep 22, 2011.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    DH and I love peppers so this year I grew a ton - different varieties, multiple plants for each variety - well, you get the picture. They need such a small space and produce so heavily for a small plant that it was too easy to go wild with them. Now I'm dragging them into the house by the bucketful. The problem is, the only way we've ever eaten peppers is raw, in salads. And we have way more than we could eat in a year, so I need to find ways to preserve them. A quick google search got me tons of results. I now know I can freeze them, pickle them or can them. The freezer directions helpfully added that they are best used sauteed. Okay, I can deal with that - I'll just have to learn different ways of cooking to incorporate them. But the canning pages provide only the details on how to can them - not how to use the canned product at a later date. I don't think I've ever bought canned peppers (did I even know such a product existed before today?) and while I'd be happy to pull out my canner and get some put up, I find myself wondering how and why I would ever go and get a can of them and use it. So please, hit me with your best ideas....

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Do you mean just canned or pickled?

Pickled peppers are easy to find a use for, since nearly all Jalapenos sold out there and all Banana peppers sold out there are pickled. [​IMG] There's sandwhiches, salads, and a whole list of other main courses.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Go over to the canning thread. There are lots of pepper people out there.
    Go also to index and look for the recipe for cowboy candy.
    I have been saving up to make those. I might have three pounds by now... If the ones in the fridge have not gone all fuzzy on me.
    Pepper jelly is also a favorite, and someone recently made pepper butter, which looked like green mustard.
    Good luck, and see you over on the canning thread!

4. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:If you are planning on canning and not just pickling, the canned peppers will work in soups, stews, chop 'em up and add a few in while making burger patties, etc. In other words, you use them as ingredients in various dishes. We do canned as well as pickled jalapenos and serranos and I will use them in my chili, a tablespoon or two diced up when I make meatloaf, drop a teaspoon into gravy or mashed taters, etc.

The pickled ones we just eat right outta the jar. The serranos are excellent to break up sinus congestion since they are a bit on the hot side.

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    If you have bell peppers, consider stuffing them, then freezing them. A lot of OAM (Once a month) cooking recipes out there. Also, if I had lots of red mild peppers, I would roast them and then look into canning them after de-skinning or freeze them for addition to recipes that call for them.

I just canned about 5-6 pounds of jalapenos, and I shared with a few people at work, but have been eating them on lots of stuff and they are great. I used red ones and green and threw a few poblanos that were red in there to "pretty" up the jar.

6. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Here are some ideas on how to use up those canned and pickled peppers:

~ Mexican cornbread - finely chopped onion, cup of canned creamed corn, 1/4 cup of canned green chiles or peppers (pat dry if using pickled peppers), grated cheese, hot sauce to taste - all added to your usual cornbread recipe

~ Breakfast casserole - 1/2 to 1 lb. sausage, browned and crumbled, 1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese, 4 eggs, 2 TB or more diced canned peppers, 2 TB finely chopped onion, dash of hot sauce, salt & pepper - put cooked sausage in a greased pie plate, top with grated cheese, beat eggs with peppers, onion, hot sauce and s&p, pour over sausage/cheese in pie plate, bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, serves 2-4. Low carb

~ add your canned or pickled peppers to your favorite chili recipe

~ top cooked pintos or other beans with the peppers and diced onion

~ add to sauteed sliced onions and cook just until heated: add to chicken strips for fajitas, add to sliced and browned Italian sausage for hot sandwiches, mix with eggs and Parm cheese for a baked frittata, use to top a pizza or focaccia, use in quiche recipes

~ and of course, nachos or queso dip made with good old Velveeta!

I recently found a Stuffed Peppers Casserole on the web that I want to try; all the elements of the dish, peppers, rice, ground beef, tomato sauce without the time consuming actual stuffing of the peppers. I got a frozen entree of this to try and it wasn't half bad. Figured my homemade version would be even better.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Thanks for all these great ideas. I forgot to mention what types of peppers - they are all hot peppers - the hottest varieties we could find because we enjoy the heat. So stuffed peppers probably won't be happening but I love some of these other ideas, especially the Mexican cornbread - that sounds so yummy I want to go and make a batch right now [​IMG]

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] I eat them like this,....... chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp........ [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I haven't read all the post so these ideas may have been offered already, but.

You can, can them up and use them later fried up for peppers, onion and sausage sandwiches or steak sandwiches.

You can dice them up and put them in soups or stews or speghetti sauce like my mother used to do. These can then be canned or frozen.

You can mix up some meat stuffing and stuff them raw and freeze them and cook up stuffed peppers later. I have a friend who does this.

You can make "red pepper pesto" and freeze it to be used later with pasta.

You could dice them up and use them in Salsa, and can it.

You could freeze them diced to use on pizza later.

Hope you like some of these ideas,

Rancher

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I dice them, freeze them, & add them to EVERYTHING I cook! [​IMG]
    Sorry, I re-read. I don't eat canned,.... just garden grown.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by