1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you feed fermented feeds in the winter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ElCerritoPlace, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Just that, how do you feed fermented feeds in the winter months, or do you just feed it during warm months? This is my first yr doing FF, and it freezes on the birds before it is all eaten. What methods do you use?

Thanks!

2. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd keep feeding the FF in the winter (I do), but I've had to start putting it out in two feedings, to keep it from freezing in the pan.

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I add a bit of hot oatmeal to the FF to make it warm. They eat it faster when it's warm so there's very little left to freeze, if any.

That's easy for me to do with 8 birds. That wouldn't be so easy to do if you had a larger flock.

4. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    I only have 6 birds, I downsized right before winter, so I'm not sure how much to even feed them. Maybe I'm feeding them too much but 2 scoops doesn't seem like a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by