How do you feed grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by acissej, Jun 16, 2010.

1. acissej

acissej Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I'm worried. I haven't been feeding them grit. [​IMG] I didn't know I needed to until today. They've had mealworms and other treats (nothing hard, but they had oatmeal that was mixed in with the mealworms, and shredded cheese, and they've been outside to munch on grass a few times when it hasn't been raining). Are they going to be ok? Should I run out and get some grit for them today? How do you feed them grit? Just put it in with their food or what?

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    If they are locked in a run with a dirt floor they are picking up grit. I would buy grit and put in a bowl or large pan and just set it out for them to eat as they want. If they are free rangeing during the day you don't need to offer grit, they can pick it up in the dirt.

3. acissej

acissej Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    They're still in our spare bathtub downstairs (brooder) for another week or so so the only chance they've had to pick up any grit is the 3 times they've been outside. [​IMG] Thanks, I'll offer them a bowl of it (I have a giant pile of construction sand in my yard that should work).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    our chickens stay in the pen (open coop/run) most of the time. The floor is sand, but I also put out a few piles of small crushed coral (left over from an old salt water tank I used to have) and allow the birds to free choice feed on the crushed coral (excellent calcium buffer, or so I have heard). They really don't eat much of the crushed coral/grit. Seems they like the wet sand under the slow dripping nipple better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by