How do you feed kitchen scraps?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mamakelly, Aug 11, 2010.

1. mamakelly

mamakelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    I've been just tossing kitchen scraps in the run. But these girls either make such a huge mess with the scraps or ignore them completely, LOL. It's making a big mess in the run. Is there a better way to give them vegi and fruit scraps?

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Figure out what they like and feed them what they can clean up before dark. Rake up the leftovers and put on the compost pile.

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I put all the stuff they like in 1 container and the stuff they dont like goes in the garden and they eat every bit of what I give them.

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep a big pot in the kitchen for anything they can eat and we don't want. We go out when it is full and dump this into a big pan in their pen. This is the highlight of their day. I have a big flock so they always finish it, but if you had a smaller flock you could just give them what they finish and save the rest for later. They seem to love pecking at the different colors and flavors. I have ducks too and the ducks always get to check over the pan first but they usually don't like the stuff like the chickens do. We call it chicken football when they find something special and carry it all around the pen. Cheap entertainment! Grapes and strands of pasta are our favorite.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have one of these in each run...
    [​IMG]
    27 ga galvanized steel. Heavy duty. 15 1/4 x 3 5/8 in deep

They are only $4. at TSC, hold a lot of scraps and are easy to clean. They are also heavy enough that they don't knock them over. I also fill them with water if it is really hot and they stand in the water to cool off.​

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Deleted ~ double post.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  7. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    [​IMG] Great Idea! I think I'll add a steel bowl to my run, too! Thanks for adding this suggestion... (I too have messy birds!)

8. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I put all my offering in a large plastic flower pot saucer. When they are finished I rinse it under the hose and have it ready for next time.

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  10. BlueRoseMama

BlueRoseMama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    I too have a large flower pot type thing that I put my scraps in. My girls LOVE oatmeal! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by