How do you feed layers and growers in the same coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KayP, Mar 26, 2009.

1. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm going to have a new batch soon and when they go live in the coop with the older 3, how do I keep everyone eating their right food? Here's what I was thinking... The older girls are standards and the new ones bantams, so I thought I'd raise the height of the big girls feed so the little ones can't reach, and then keep the little one's food in their dog cage/brooder in the coop, with a small entrance that the big girls won't want to bother with!?? Any other suggestions? I know I could split the whole coop in half but I was hoping the two groups would integrate.

2. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    hi! once upon a time (last year), i was having problems with one of my (naughty) girls being a feather-picker/eater and after much research one of the potential problems i discovered was perhaps a lack of enough protein in their diets. they used to be on purina layena, but on the advice of some very helpful folks here, i switched them to purina flock raiser. it's a higher protein feed, intended to be used for mixed flocks (chickens, turkeys, ducks, etc) of chicks until the point of lay, and then you switch them to layena. the main thing the flock raiser is lacking is higher calcium for laying chickens. BUT i provide my girls with plenty of crushed oyster shell and they get a bowl of yogurt every morning. i've been feeding them the flock raiser for several months now, and no decrease in egg production and no noticeable difference in eggshell thickness/texture. for summer, i may cut the protein back a bit (more bugs to be eaten in the yard!) and mix flock raiser and layena. and a couple of new peeps may be in my not-too-distant future! so... my very long answer to your question is: you could feed all of them flock raiser and then switch (or not!) back to layer when the new kids reach the point of lay. only thing you have to make sure of then is that they have plenty of free-choice oyster shell.

good luck! [​IMG]

3. KayP

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    That's a great idea!! That's what I'll do. Will the little ones just not be interested in the oyster, or do I have to put it where they can't get it?

4. TurtleChick

TurtleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    that i don't know.... i'd think it's not a problem, but perhaps one of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in - i guess i need to know the answer too, for someday when there are youngsters running around my coop!

[​IMG]

5. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I have a mixed flock and right now, I'm feeding the 20% feed and keeping oyster shell available. The hens that are not laying will peck at the oyster shell and spit it back out. The ones that are laying will choose what they want and go on.

You do not have to keep it away from the others, they are pretty good judges of what they need nutritionally. [​IMG]

6. KayP

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks so much! I really don't know what I'd do without you guys around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by