How do you feed your flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mmclaughlin, Aug 4, 2014.

1. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I was just told at a feed store I shouldn't hang my feeder under the coop .. I should feed inside the coop on the floor? I am having an issue with chickadee birds emptying the feeder onto the ground every day! And asked them what I could do to make the go away.
    How does everyone here feed their flock..??

2. waynem1983

waynem1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2014
    Gloucestershire, England
    I have a feeder outside, and a large home made hanging feeder inside the coop, I let them take what they want.

2 things that have reduced waste, first, raise it up to just below head hight, they dont seem to spill as much. The second, I moved from pellets to mash, mash there is way less waste.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as well as these I give them a handfull of cracked corn twice a day.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    This is what I have....best decision EVER! And the best part is it was cheap to put together!

[​IMG]
    I made 2 tube feeders for my small flock, so I bought 1 8' 3" PVC tube, cut it in half. You don't have to glue them together, add a 90-degree elbow and the end part is called a "street 45" .. don't ask me why it's called that it just is. Then I bought 2 caps for the tops and voila! Done! Warning: Be sure to put your foot over the bottom when you fill it the first time...eek!!

4. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    That looks awesome! I may just make me on of these! How many pipes to chicken ratio ?? It looks like it could keep out the critters and also stay dry did it take your flock time to get used to? I know how mine dislike many changes. Wonder if it could work for water?? Hmmm changes to the coop in the near future.
    Thanks for sharing :)

5. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes, they ARE awesome! I have 2 tube feeders for my 4 girls and one out in the run. I cannot tell you how much time it has saved me not to mention no more wasted feed.

As for waterers I use the horizontal water nipples in a plastic bucket...what a difference THAT's made, too!

6. countrygirl77

countrygirl77 New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    I have these and have a ton of waste, even with half caps....any suggestions?

7. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Gosh, never have that problem...I think your chickens like to 'play with their food' maybe? I dunno.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by