How do you feed your rooster separately?

NewtonZapple

Chirping
Dec 7, 2021
I feel silly asking such a basic question - I even searched through old posts to see if anyone’s already asked!

I’m told roosters shouldn’t eat layer feed because it is too high in calcium. But my rooster lives in the coop/run with the hens and they all want to eat the same thing.

I put a second container of general ‘all flock’ feed out (for him), but my girls cleaned it out before he could touch it. I obviously want them to eat the layer feed, and him to have what’s best for him.

Has someone found a simple way to do it? Yes, I do let them out to free range for a few hours each day, and tried keeping him behind with his own food, but he was so upset that he couldn’t be out with his harem that he wouldn’t touch the food at all - he just paced and crowed until
I let him out!

I feel silly asking such a basic question - I even searched through old posts to see if anyone’s already asked!

I’m told roosters shouldn’t eat layer feed because it is too high in calcium. But my rooster lives in the coop/run with the hens and they all want to eat the same thing.

I put a second container of general ‘all flock’ feed out (for him), but my girls cleaned it out before he could touch it. I obviously want them to eat the layer feed, and him to have what’s best for him.

Has someone found a simple way to do it? Yes, I do let them out to free range for a few hours each day, and tried keeping him behind with his own food, but he was so upset that he couldn’t be out with his harem that he wouldn’t touch the food at all - he just paced and crowed until
I let him out!
Have you considered feeding your whole flock the all flock feed and having calcium supplements on the side for the girls to eat?

Have you considered feeding your whole flock the all flock feed and having calcium supplements on the side for the girls to eat?
Well, thanks!! Nope, I hadn’t thought of that, I just assumed they needed the layer. But it sure would be simpler if I only had to buy one type of feed instead of two!

Well, thanks!! Nope, I hadn’t thought of that, I just assumed they needed the layer. But it sure would be simpler if I only had to buy one type of feed instead of two!
Absolutely it would! I would give that a try 1st before I would try splitting him up.You'll just have to keep an eye on the oyster shell to make sure the girls are actually eating it.

I agree with Isadora 100%.
I give a high quality scratch as a treat/snack/gift randomly.
By now, I would guess you have tried this (I know its an older post). I hope it worked.
Let us know if you dont mind.

Many of us, perhaps the majority of us, here on BYC (but not an overwhelming majority) will recommend all flock all the time, for all gender and ages. With free choice water, grit, and calcium source (oyster shell, usually) in seperate dishes on the side. Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.

We recommend it so often, in fact, that many of us just cut and paste the post. I link mine.

Thank you for searching first. Different key words, and you'd have found the answers you sought. greatly appreciate that you put some effort into looking!

The only silly questions are the ones that people are afraid to ask.

Great advice given already but the question should be why would you feed a rooster separately? They eat very little. So little that you can ignore the number of roosters when computing what a flock will eat per day, unless you have a bachelor pen of pet roosters. While it is true that the layer feed will have extra calcium per pound, the rooster is also eating much less than a hen.

Back
Top Bottom