How do you feel about...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silkiechick05, Oct 11, 2009.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    anchoring your coop wire into the ground to keep predators from digging under it,

or just making a wire bottom for the coop.

which is better???

2. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    I'm a chicken flock newby and we aproned out the hardware cloth all around the coop and run.

I've never really heard of making a wire bottom for the coop, tho.

3. Stephanie-n-Hayden

Stephanie-n-Hayden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    I would think that a wire bottom for the coop would be too hard on the chicken's feet.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Just run an apron around it. The extra expense of covering the entire bottom of the run isn't worth it and would deny your chickens the fun of scratching around. As long as you run it out 18-24" nothing is going to dig in.

5. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    okay, so how did you anchor the wire into the ground??

dig a trench?

6. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    silkiechick05, do you mean around a run, or the bottom of your coop?

7. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    the run. the coop will have a solid bottom.

8. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Quote:I dug a trench around 3 sides and in the front I dug deeper and used fencing that had bigger space than hardware cloth because I want to plant in front of it.... around the coop on 2 sides I am just going to bury the hardware cloth under a bit of dirt and plant grass.

9. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I'm putting a hardware cloth bottom on my coop and run. I have an apron but a gopher managed to dig under it so it opens up an entry for other nasties. I love having a dirt floor (with bedding material over top) but this is unacceptable. I'll just keep my run with the apron, but for the coop I'm putting a hardware cloth floor covered with the regular dirt and bedding stuff. That way there's no digging in.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Personally I think that in most cases it makes more sense to have a 2-4' wide apron, horizontally on the surface of the ground or covered by mulch/pebbles/turf/pavers/whatever...

...you *can* trench the bottom of the run fence into the ground, but it needs to be at least 18" deep (and even taht won't stop a few really-motivated 'professional' foxes or terriers) which is awfully hard work unless you own a ditch-witch, and then it is hard to monitor its rusting or to replace if need be.

JMHO,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by