1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you find a breeder

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by goonat123, Jan 20, 2012.

1. goonat123

goonat123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    I want to find a show breeder of malay chickens. How do i find them?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Look for breeder clubs online, ask around the Oriental Gamefowl thread or the WTB section, etc.

I know a lot of Oriental fowl breeders here but actually I don't know any Malay breeders. I did once find a website on google for one though. I believe they did mottled Shamos and Wheaten Malays.

3. goonat123

Jan 19, 2012
    Thanks what website has the breeders on it i cant find it for some reason

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Fowl-A-Foot (BYC member and also has a website) does Malays. Try contacting him/her. [​IMG]

5. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    If there is a large poultry show in your area, you can go and see if there are any malays entered. The catalog usually has the exhibitor's name and sometimes contact information by the number on the cage card. Many shows also have a swapper section as well, and you might even find some birds for sale there, too.

6. goonat123

Jan 19, 2012
    Im not sure if there is any big shows but i live in ohio is there any here?

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Ohio is the very center of large poultry shows. You shouldn't have any problems with finding a show to visit once show season starts.

8. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Quote:
    Illia, I think you should change your title under Golden Feather member to: Wikipedia of BYC [​IMG]

9. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Right now there is a auction on ebay for Malays, dont know anything about them but they are on there now, We are just getting into Shamos, but not many Malay around, Good luck finding them;
    Rebel

10. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    There are a lot of Orientals here on the west coast, but I rarely see Malays.

Carl Brantley has them if anyone here knows how to contact him. He is running for Dist 4 Director of the APA, so the APA office will have his addy. He is in the south somewhere. His are show birds.

Walt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by