1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you find someone to process your meaties?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by augustmomx2, Jan 11, 2010.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I've been doing some research in regards to meaties and think I may take the plunge later on this year. If I do so, however, I will be responsible for culling and cleaning my birds (dh can barely wipe a baby's poopy bottom, let alone clean a chicken). My fear is that I will chicken out, so to speak [​IMG] and I would like to have someone as backup or just find someone to process my chickens for me. Is that possible? I've heard of people taking their cows and pigs to be processed, how bout' chickens? Any info would be great or even a pep-talk in regards to doing it myself. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] I think you can learn to do it yourself. Then when you sit down to your first delectable meal of home-grown self-processed chicken -- ALL BY YOURSELF -- tell Mister that you're extra hungry, since you worked up such an enormous appetite processing this chicken ALL BY YOURSELF. However, if he's willing to help process the next ones then he too can share in the meals.

I think the best way to learn is to work alongside someone else who knows what they're doing. Perhaps there is another chicken-keeper in your area, check at your local feed store. Or maybe another BYCer in your area. Otherwise, there are lots of great tutorials online & on YouTube. Check out http://www.HowToButcherAChicken.com

And of course there's lots of folks here to instruct, support & encourage you. I have found it very empowering to have learned to process my own chickens, and it helps me to appreciate the meat I bring to the table.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Call your county extension office, also call schools and colleges in your area that specialize in agriculture. I was having the same problem and someone on the forum told me to do this...and it is working. I am getting names of ppl. to do it. one person at the county gave me the # to Va. Tech (our college here in the western part of Va.) Good Luck.

4. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I asked at our local feed store and they had the local processor's name and number.

5. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the replies everyone [​IMG] I'm going to check out the different options and the website Sunny gave me is the best! I have spent all afternoon (@ work) reading the author's blogs...great stuff [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    There have been a lot of folks talked through the process of processing here, you would get lots of support & encouragement here!

I first learned from a neighbor who hunts and dresses out his own animals. My best friend & I learned together from him, then devised ways to make it go easier, faster & neater, and then taught our husbands. It's still mostly my job here, the kids aren't into it & I won't force them, but at least they will run & fetch tools & cold drinks. Mister works odd hours & often isn't around when I'm working, but he will help if he's here. He said it's not much different from cleaning a fish.

I'm glad you enjoyed Kimball's blog & website, here's a helpful video, it shows how to skin the birds and a great way to clean them out:

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:Look in the mirror... that is how you find a person to do it! LoL... seriously though... just do a lot of research here in this forum... ask tons of questions and everyone here will help you through it. It's a piece of cake once you get past the killing part!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by