How do you find somewhere to do a necropsy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JusticeFamilyFarm, Jul 28, 2011.

1. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    I have to cull one of my chickens, I have posted on here a few times about her and she is just not doing well. Now it's to the point that I feel she is suffering, and I had agreed with DH that if she was suffering that would be it. For a week (probably longer) I have known this was coming, so I had been trying to find somewhere that would do a necropsy on a pet chicken. I have had no luck at all. I've called the local community college that has veterinary programs (left a message, no call back 4 days later), I also called the UC San Diego dept of veterinary med (left a message, no call back 3 days later) and I e-mailed a teacher I had a while back who works in the veterinary field... no response. I don't know where else to check, but I know I can't wait much longer to cull her, the poor thing. I don't want to see her suffer any more, but if we cull her now, we have no where to take her and would never know if it is Marek's that she had, or something that is not contagious that we don't have to worry about once she's gone. Ugh. I just am at a loss. I would really like my mind to be put at ease (or not if she does, in fact, have Marek's) so that I can move forward from this knowing that nothing is hanging over us, kwim? Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You could call a vet/avian vet and find out how and where to send the carcass. A vet might do it for you, for a fee.

3. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I found our state vet to do this for free. Perhaps if you could get in touch with your local ag extension they could help you out?

I'm so sorry you have to do this [​IMG]

4. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Our state also does this for free.

5. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    The only one I know of is UC Davis. They will do a complete necropsy for free...three per small farmer. I know that is probably too far for you, but I just found a link to their Davis and other California locations:

http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/contact/index.cfm

perhaps one is closer to you? If not at least you can call them and maybe they will know someone closer. Good luck!

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Contact your county extension office or state ag. dept. I found the phone number online. They will refer you to the state resource for this. In my case, I recently had one done at Oregon State. It was $30 plus any tests. Pretty reasonable. A vet will charge a small fortune!

Keep your bird cold, not frozen, in the meantime, to preserve the carcass for best necropsy results. A dead bird in the refrigerator isn't very appetizing, but it's better than a bunch of additional dead birds.

Good luck!

ETA: Try this http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/avian_health_2.html

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  7. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I just had to do this for one of my birds. The state lab here did it and was great about helping me on the phone. Since I am about 2 hours away, I shipped it on ice overnight (about $40!!!) but they got it the next AM. If you have a closer ag extention office or vet school you might not have to ship. Any vet can do a necropsy, but it will probably cost you more than having it done by the state. Good luck............

8. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Thank you so much for all of the responses! And thank you even more for the links. I took down the info from those websites and will make some calls tomorrow to see what I can get done. Hopefully we can get everything taken care of tomorrow. DH says he refuses to have a dead chicken in the refrigerator... I told him that sounds kind of funny, since really - we have them there all the time. He didn't think that was funny. I think he's a little more freaked out than he lets on about having to cull her. I feel bad, but he did promise me he'd be able to handle it if it needed to be done, because we both know that I can't do it. I just need this all over with, it's dragged on too long. [​IMG] Again, thank you for all of your responses- not many people around here understand why I'm even taking the time to look into all of this for "just chickens", but I knew I could count on people here at BYC to understand that I just don't want there to be any what-ifs about her having Marek's or not.

9. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:This website (and resulting phone number) has been the most helpful so far. They no longer handle the avian health program, but they got my info and then gave me the number for the new department- the State Bird Hotline for reporting sick or dead birds. (for anyone else in CA it's 866-922-2473). I spoke to someone there and she took down all the info and is going to get back to me or have one of the vets in the office call me back. For now I am waiting on culling her until instructions from them (which is awful because I know she is suffering, but I'm ok with it as long as they get back to me soon).
    Thanks again for all of your help (everyone)!!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  10. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Update- they will do the necropsy for free for small flock owners, but you have to get them the chicken... and the closest lab to me is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours away. So, I'm going to look into how much Fed Ex overnight will cost. I forgot to ask if it matters how we cull her...? Do you think there is a preferred method? They did say that if I drove her there, they would euthanize her- but they do not want me to ship her live. However, I can't ship her until Monday since they are closed for the weekend and they want me to wait until just before shipping her to do it, then ship her on ice. Anyone who has shipped on in the past... what type of container did you use? How many ice packs?
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by