How do you find takers for roosters??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nugget, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    I have 6, maybe 7 roosters to rehome and I had only 1 inquiry for 1 roo from rather far away... I hung a sign at the feed store, posted an online ad, and here too... Does anyone have any suggestions? What has worked for you? I am a vegetarian and making supper out of them isn't a workable solution for me [​IMG] Roosters, roosters everywhere!

2. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    That's a tough one. Newspaper ad, Freecycle, Craigslist?

Even if we order only pullets from a hatchery, we're likely still complicit in cockerel-chick deaths, since they just discard tons of them after sexing. Even someone who eats no meat and wears no leather bears responsibility for countless animal deaths due to crop-farming practices--it's impossible to be human and have *no* impact on other life. Try not to beat yourself up about it too much if you wind up having to let a roo go to someone who can't guarantee that it will be a lifetime pet.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nugget, are you in a small town or larger city? I'm in a small (177 people) town and even the closest city has only 6000 +/- people. I just told everyone I came across. The guys at the lumber yard when we were there buying coop supplies, the people admiring baby chicks at Atwoods, even the man that works at the transfer station and the guys that came to grade our road (they stopped to admire my chicks in the yard). I also posted signs at our post office and at the library branch. My extras all got a good home from the ad at the post office. The person you tell may not want roosters or chickens in general, but they may know someone that does. Oh! and you might check to see if you're local radio station has a "bargain hunt" hour where you can call in and describe what you have to give away.
    Good luck!

4. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    I am completely realistic about the fate of rooster chicks. While I dream that they will live out their days guarding a flock on a big farm somewhere I know very well that they're more likely to become stew. I can't do it myself though (I once had a response asking "don't you like fried chicken?").

An ad at the post office... hadn't thought of that. I'll try and get some more ads placed this weekend. As a last resort I have a name of someone who likes cockerel burgers. He may help me out... Hadn't anticipated it being quite so difficult!

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Find a poultry auction. You can get $8-10 for one since some people prefer cooking with roosters than broilers.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I finally had to just give 6 of mine away. I posted that they were free here on BYC and a member took them all. Good luck to you! [​IMG]

7. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Do you belong to your local Freecycle list? Mine has chickens of all kinds on it all the time. Strictly speaking, the rules of Freecycle do say "no animals," but on lists in rural areas, you do see animals every day.

8. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Craigs List is where I've seen roosters for sale or free. In the farm and garden listing.

9. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The waitresses at our favorite Chinese restaurant are thrilled when we give them roosters.

10. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Yikes Chinese Restaurant's!!! [​IMG]
    Well we know what they use them for~ [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by