How do you find the laws about predators in your area?

Peeplperson

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Napa
Wondering how you find out the legality of shooting predators? We take care of woodpeckers with (wink, wink) lead poisoning, but would hate to take drastic action on a neighbor's dog without the law to back us up, should the need arise.

I just googled Virginia Dept of Wildlife to get to their website then I just started reading everything and emailing people. They just gave me the all clear to trap and kill that fox that's been getting my chickens
somad.gif

As for predators here in Ca., check with the Dept. of Gish & Game. Dogs are little tricky, depends how the owners act. Most of the time the dog is smarter than the owner.I give the dog a couple of lessons and if it doesn't learn, it is off to doggy heaven. NEVER TELL THE OWNER WHAT YOU DID. The dog just never came home. This is the SSS rule.

I do have a neighbor that sets some flowers on my deck twice a year. The note says to place the flowers near her dogs. She lost two.

Preppy*Hippy*chick,

Woodpeckers are a big problem for us. They have all but ruined the fascia boards on our house, and they destroy trees by pecking circles around the trunks. We've done what we can with wire netting on the house, but we are rural, and the trees they kill also hold our phone and power lines. Not to mention our fruit trees. They're like flying rabbits - there's a never ending supply. Don't mean to offend anyone, and we feel a strong obligation of being good managers of the land we've been blessed with.

Sorry to get off topic, but thanks for the input. Perhaps wild birds are a pet peeve of mine - once walked into my family room to find an owl on my rocking chair - yikes! But just trying to protect my new chicks, and doing the best we can with wire netting and (hopefully) neighborhood dogs who respect pellet guns.

Sorry for the rant!

Back
Top Bottom