how do you float test?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goochgirl, Jan 4, 2011.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    I have 1 chick in egg thats still kicking when I candle. Not sure about the other 4. Wondering what to do with them????

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    What day are they on? What do you see when you candle?

You can float test by filling a container with egg-warm water (best to measure the temp in order to avoid cooking or cooling your eggs) and placing the eggs, one at a time, into the water very carefully. Wait for the water to calm and watch for movement. If the egg moves in the water, it has a living baby inside. If not, then... the baby might be asleep... or dead... it's hard to say.

I don't float test because of the inconclusive results. Generally, I candle and look for evidence, and if I'm not sure, I put them back in and leave them until two to five days after their hatch date.

When you've been hatching for a while, you'll learn what to look for, but at first it's best just to give the eggs the benefit of the doubt and give them a little longer.

Good luck!

3. goochgirl

May 2, 2010
    today is day 24 and i'm just getting my first chick hatching... ever so slowly. something is starting to smell in there. I'm not sure if its hot styrofoam or cooking eggs, or rot.

4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    There is a really neat "sticky" on the subject over in the Quail forum. It is in the top sticky post and then look for the float test page. I had to try it with my quail eggs because you can't candle them. You also can't do it to an egg that has a pip. I don't know how to post a link so see if you can find it if not I will work on the link thing.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If something is starting to stink, you probably have a rotting egg. Better get it out of there quick!

Have any of your eggs pipped? If not, you can quickly open the incubator and give each egg the "sniff test." Most likely, one or more of them will smell distinctly rotten & you can toss it. A healthy incubator will smell clean and fresh until the eggs are actually hatching--at which point it still won't smell rotten, though it will have a distinctly unpleasant odor.

Good luck!

6. goochgirl

May 2, 2010
    I have one hatching; that must be the smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by