How do you freeze your whole turkeys?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by silkiechicken, Aug 21, 2008.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

So I've got two toms that are headed to the table in the near future. One is going to be cooked as soon as it's ready, but the second is going to be frozen for when I am back on break to eat. However, this 42 lb tom, which I anticipate being about 30lbs dressed isn't really going to fit in a gallon sized freezer bag.... so what do you do and what are your suggestions on how to freeze them up?

I was thinking wrap heavily in saran wrap, then stick into a few grocery bags and then give a final wrap in a trash bag. Any better solutions to freeze him whole?

Thanks!

2. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    they have the extra large turkey shrink bags here

http://www.cornerstone-farm.com/shrink_bags.htm

and it's 79 cents a bag but when i tried to check out, it added $15.00 for shipping! :eek:

you might try and call them and see how much they would charge you in shipping for a couple of bags.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Ziploc makes BIG bags called XXL's. They hold like 2 small children. We use them to store our hunting clothes in for scent control, and I also use them to brine my turkey for Thanksgiving. They come in a bag and are usually hanging up (not in a box like smaller Ziplocs) and are usually with the paper plates and such at the grocery store, or the hunting department at the retail stores.

4. silkiechicken

Never knew they made such large ziploc bags! Might go that route since that 15 of shipping is a bit outrageous!

Thanks!

5. MandyH

Sure thing. I don't know if you have a Wal-mart or Target close to you, but Wal-Mart carries them I know. They are like $5 for 2 bags and are called Ziploc Big Bags. Good luck, I know they have been a life saver for me.

6. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    here's the sizes

Large 1.25 ft. x 1.25 ft., 5 per box
    Xtra Large 2 ft. x 1.7 ft., 4 per box
    XXtra Large 2 ft. x 2.7 ft., 3 per box

it says on their web page that they're suppose to be pleated, with handles and double zip loc.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. MandyH

Yeah, the bottom will fold out flat, and they do have handles. I bet we stick 60 pounds of hunting clothes in them, easy. They are VERY durable.

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thats what I use to store my 25 & 50lb feed bags! XXL size I get them at lowes, but they do come in a box here anyway.. they are with the household organization products.. $5 for 3 or 4 of them.. can't remember.

this would be HUGE for a turkey, but it is a very durable high quality bag

9. silkiechicken

The XL bag sounds like it would do the job! Now to get to the store to look for it!

10. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    We used two layers of butcher paper usually it is only 18 inches wide. so it can take some creative wrapping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by