How do you gain the trust of a crazy pullet?

ponygal12

Songster
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
New Hampshire
Hi everyone!

Some of you may know from a previous topic that I rescued an EE pullet. She used to be running around in the wild. Anyways, she's completely skittish and nervous around everyone. I had expected this. How do I gain her trust? Right now, I hold her and talk to her. She won't eat out of my hand yet...so ya. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Give her time to trust you. I fed some of my skiddish EE's some quail eggs & now they follow me everywhere wanting more. Find whatever treat she LOVES & you may get some attention from her.

Just keep doing what you are doing. My Ameraucana pullets were very skittish when I first brought them home. I found that moving around them slowly has helped calm them down and their discovering that I am the "treat lady" has helped a lot too. They will never be "lap chickens" but that is ok with me. As long as they are not afraid of me I am happy. I have been able to get one of them to eat out of my hand but the others will only eat what is on the ground. At least they will hang out and not scatter while I am in the pen with them. I have also noticed that as they approached maturity they became less flighty.
smile.png

A lawn chair, cool drink and good book help a lot. Just let her get used to your presence. In time she may get interested in the treats on the ground near your feet.

Treats, treats, and more treats. I had some girls that always ran away from me when I came out. Just recently they'll run up to me, do the submissive squat and let me pet them. It's taken weeks and weeks of treats, but I seem to be their best friend. Remember that saying..."the way to a chicken's heart is through their stomach." Oh yeah...and lots of love and cooing at them. (talking)
love.gif

Quote:
I use techinique indicated by ddawn above. To speed things along, treats like mealworms can be thrown individually at her, making her come closer for each one. I prefer to avoid direct eye contact during this as that is what a predator would do.

Back
Top Bottom