how do you get a chicken back into laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickchicks, Mar 5, 2012.

1. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    hello i have a BO thats about 2 years old

her and her sister went broody last year , i gave her sister wilma 3 chicks and tryeid to break betty, this was last year before september ,

since then we have had 2 new girls added to the two bo and the three chicks have now all gone to new homes they were all male.

wilma has juststarted to lay eggs again this week she did try and lay a few over december but it lasted a week and newver started again , but Betty has not laid since last year and i dont know why

she gets the same food and drink as the others gets to free range round the garden is not gettingbullied by the new girls or wilma .

she is "bigger" than wilmabut that is because wilma lost al her weight while brooding,
    she can easily run roundthe garden and hop to the roosts at night so i am not sure what i am doing to stop her fromlaying.

she is not hiding any eggs as the garden is not massive and has no where to hide any eggs i even check the ground just incase but nothing so far .

if anyone has a clue for methat would belovely

thank you in advance

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have 4 hens that will be 2 years in April. They all quit laying after their fall molt. Now that there are more hours of light in the day, three out of the four are laying. One is holding off, for now, but I have no doubt that as spring comes on she'll begin laying again. Perhaps, your hen is like mine?

3. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    thank you
    i hope she stars again i only have 4 chickens !!!

thank you i will keep my fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by