How do you get a hen broody, and how do you get a rooster to mate with her

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by starrmar006, Jan 15, 2017.

1. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    Hi,
    I was wondering How do you get a hen broody, and how do you get a rooster to mate with her? I really want my own batch of chicks!
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

You can't make a hen go broody, she does that when and if her hormones tell her to. You can stack the odds of her going broody in your favor by getting a broody breed, such as a silkie, cochin, orpington, brahma, game, etc.

As for getting a rooster to mate with her, take a rooster and put that rooster in the same area as her. Done. If you get a young one it might take him awhile to get mating all figured out but he'll get the job done eventually.

You will need more than one hen in with the rooster though. Five to ten hens are needed, and the closer to ten the easier it is on all the hens.

1 person likes this.
  3. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    You can't make a gen broody, it's just a natural and unexpected thing. Second, maybe try a breeding pen, even then, if she isn't "attractive" to him, there's no way to make either of those things happen, it's just nature.
    Maybe you can buy eggs and use an incubator. Or get a silkie, no promises, but they are known to go broody frequently.
    Hope this helps:)

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Another consideration....you'll want the rooster to breed her BEFORE she goes broody. [​IMG] After she's broody she's not receptive for mating, nor is she laying eggs.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you with us! :)

6. starrmar006

Jan 10, 2017
    what breeds are easy to go broody?

7. starrmar006

Jan 10, 2017
    Thank you all!!!! [​IMG]

8. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Cochins, Silkies, game hens. For keeping with other breeds with less potential problems and not having to adapt sleeping areas, I'd go for cochins. A very gentle breed that co-exists well with other LF breeds, naturally hardy, good mothering and feed thrifty.

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by