how do you get a silky?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cornychick, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I have several banty cochin hens and what I believe to be a rooster silkie. What will I get if they breed?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Fertile eggs [​IMG]

(sorry couldn't resist) [​IMG]

3. Cornychick

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Yep. I set myself up for that one!

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:They wouldn't make pure silkies. They would just be Silkie/cochin mix and the top hats would be smaller.

5. Cornychick

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    hmmm [​IMG]

6. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute little Mutts![​IMG]

7. Cornychick

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Does anyone have a pic of what they might look like? Cuz spring is around the corner and well, you know what happens then....

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    How 'bout a pic of what you believe to be your Silkie Roo? I'll go out right now and take a pic of my Silkie/Cochin lovechild. Here's the parents:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Yes, the Silkie is -- not typey. The hen is breathtaking though, and the pullet, except for the regular feathers, looks more Silkie than the dad. I'll be right back.....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Okay, here's my lovechild. She has black skin with five well-placed toes. The middle toe on each foot is lighter. She has a great crest for a crossbred, something that her father lacks entirely! She has a well-shaped, dark comb, but since her father doesn't have blue ears, I would have to introduce another Silkie to be her mate in order to have that in her offspring. More likely, though, is that I'll breed her back to the sire in order to get a few more lavenders, and then get a black Silkie male.
    [​IMG]

10. Cornychick

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Quote:AWWW! She is sooo stinkin cute!!! I will take pics in the morning of my crew and you can give me your thoughts....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by