1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you get baby chicks to love you?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Emilie's Eggery, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Emilie's Eggery

Emilie's Eggery New Egg

Aug 13, 2010
    I have seen chicks who just LOVE attention from there owners. I am wondering what makes the chick to owner relationship closer. Does handling everyday help? Talking to them? Or just leaving them alone while there young and bond with them as they get older? I am getting my 3rd batch of chicks on thursday and I have nothing but CHICKEN on my mind!!! [​IMG]

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from MN. In my vast experience of raising 5 chicks I developed the theory that it didn't matter one bit that I held each chick every night. The ones who didn't like it then don't like it now and the one who liked it the best hops up on me and lets me scratch her at 18 weeks old. The middle of the roaders still don't really care for it. Maybe I should have tried to hold them more when they were older than 5 weeks but they were so terrified it was a major operation to grab em and hold on. Now I'm just waiting for the famous friendliness said to develop around maturity. It would be so nice to sit and hold my chickens, sigh.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Firstly, [​IMG] Glad you're here!!!

Congrats and Hooray!!! How many chicks are you getting? What kind. Some are friendlier than others, you know.
    In the flock I have now two just adored me right off while the others were very standoffish. One of my more skitzy birds was injured and had to be separated, so I spent tons of time with her and she quickly bonded with me, hopping up on my knee, following me around. And a sure-fire way into any chick's heart is through her stomach. I am told treats do it -- but I am also told that treats should constitute no more than 10% of their diet. Some people offer mealy worm or chopped grapes or tomatoes. Try a few things and see what works. Keep in mind, chicks who eat treats might eschew their real food in favor of the good stuff AND when they eat treats they should have some kind of grit available. Parakeet grit is fine for babies as young as two weeks IF you can find it without calcium -- excess calicum is hard on the baby's kidneys.

That's everything I know about chick love. [​IMG] Please come back and share pictures of your babies when they arrive.

Jenny

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Not all will be the most loving birds. Frequent Handling and Treats are your best bets to start them getting used to you.

I have several that don't mind being touched and others that love to be held. When Dolly is being held she takes the oppurtunity to take a nap while her babies can't bother her. Even chicken mamas need a break.

Some in the same brood will be super friendly while others stay away and remain wild. The range of their personalities is interesting.

Matt

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You've gotten some good advice.

I would add, many say handling roosters is not a good idea, makes them more likely to attack later, thinking they need to show you that you are not dominant.

For the girls, handling seems to help, I agree, but the friendly nature has to be in them, too. I didn't do much handling, and have a couple I can pet or even hold, but the others are at varying degrees of keeping away from me. I did handle them a little, and I can pick them up off the roost without creating panic or a lot of stress -- just a little struggle, if any.

6. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Handleing Roosters correctly sets you on the top of the pecking order.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Some chicks are naturally stand-offish, others love to be held and cuddled!
    What breeds do you have? [​IMG]
    I would hold them all everyday and start feeding them out of your hand.

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have found that my Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans are the friendliest. I picked them up and handled them 2x daily when they were in the brooder. They enjoyed sitting on my shoulder when they were 4 weeks+ and now as pullets they following me around, like being picked up and talked to. So very sweet...I talk to all of my girls a lot and always say good night when locking them up for the night. ;D

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I just sit with them, be around them. Even if you dont pick them up and handle them. They will come to you when they are ready.

10. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I will echo what others have said here. They all have different personalities! I have 6 chickens (2 BO, 2 RIR and 2 black sex linked) who are almost 6 months old and four of them will jump up on my lap for pets, and the other two want no part of it. One of my BO's *just* started wanting to be friendly and jumping into my lap. I tried to handle them all the same when they were babies, spending time with them, picking them up and holding them, and giving them treats out of my hand. But they are who they are, I guess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by