1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you get chickens to change coops

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marilyn1954, Oct 1, 2016.

1. marilyn1954

marilyn1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Small town America
    We had 10 hens in a coop.(a coop that holds 25 hens). We got 15 more chicks this past May. We had a second smaller coop that the baby chicks went into and they both share a run. Now that it's getting cold I need for some of the chicks who are now much bigger and laying to go to the larger coop so they are not crammed in the smaller that really only holds 10 hen comfortably. When we try and move them to the larger coop they want no part of it! When they free range during the day, they don't really co-mingle they stay in the old lady group, or the young kids group......what the heck can I do???

2. marilyn1954

marilyn1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Small town America
    [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What are the dimensions of the larger coop, in feet by feet?
    How much roost length in the larger coop, again in feet?
    Pics of inside of larger coop would help too.

Sub flocks are common, especially before the younger ones start laying-but even then they often stay apart.
    They have bonded as 'groups' and are 'homed' to their respective coops.
    You'll have to 'force' the issue by closing off the smaller coop and will probably have to place the youngers in the larger coop at roost time for quite awhile....it's another step in the integration.

That's a nice setup for rotating stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by