how do you get chickens to love you?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ghostbelly, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    i have a batch of 9 chicks they are all a few weeks old and i want to train them to come and hop up on my lap and know that i am no a threat. i have used bugs to get them to come near me, and then they come but since they have a momma they will always choose her over me [​IMG]. (we both worked hard to hatch those chicks) how do i train my little chickies to love me, or will they only just come for the treats?

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Treats,training, time, and patience may persuade your birds to get closer to you.

3. Ghostbelly

Nov 20, 2012
    they love their treats but only if i have them they will come close to me.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If you make a noise every time you give them a treat they will learn to come to you when they hear that noise. Don't fake them out too often though or they will start to ignore you.

You will have a better chance of taming them when they have weaned off of their mother. You may feel raising them has been a joint effort but she does not and their little instinct driven brains don't either. Even if you tamed them as chicks you generally have to re-tame them after they move to the coop and grow up a little.

With my pullets I sit quiet and still in the yard with a cup of mealworms and toss them the worms getting them slow closer and closer to me. After a few days to a week of doing this they will climb into my lab to get treats and meet me at the gate. The more you handle them the more they get used to it. Is it love? I guess you can decide.

You can tame them and teach them simple tricks and they can learn to come when called but they aren't loyalty driven or people needing like dogs.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    My chickens were really tame and let me hold them. My bantum would sit on my shoulder like a pirate. But, I have been working a ton lately and haven't been able to go sit with them everyday with treats like I used to. After 3 months of this they act like they have no idea who I am and no longer let me touch them. I know I can easily get them back where they were but they certainly have not been domesticated for affection.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I have pretty much found that they're far more wild as chicks than adults. I don't try to tame my birds, but the adults will all come running when they see me, because they know I bring goodies. I call "Here, chick, chick, chick" and every bird in the place will come running as fast as they can, but most crowd around my feet when I'm in the hen house or the pasture whether I've called them or not. And I never tamed them and only handle them when necessary. They HATE to be picked up.

When they're chicks and pullets, they don't come running, no matter what I do. I don't know what it is about being a hen that makes them understand that I've got goodies.

AS to how to tame them, the way to a chicken's heart is through its stomach. Food, food, and more food.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The closest you'll get to tame chickens that adore you will be those chickens you've raised from tiny chicks and handled and cuddled a LOT. However, there are some breeds that resist being tamed, no matter what you do, and even some individuals within breeds that are easily tamed can be resistant to being corrupted into being lap chickens.

My Sussex are the most tame and affectionate of all my chickens, yet one of the four hates to be touched. My Wyandottes are the most stand-offish, while the Brahmas and Cochins are big on cuddling.

To get chickens that love you, start with breeds that tend to be that way.

8. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If you really want birds that act like you are important to them get silkies. They are pretty terrible layers and have some special needs but they are really really sweet and docile and will follow you around. They are much more pet-like and good with kids. Very easy to handle.

9. Ghostbelly

Nov 20, 2012
    thanks! [​IMG]

10. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I agree with silkies. The are quite docile, but as mentioned before, egg laying/brooding is erratic. I have a silkie roo that is Alpha male of all the other roos, even my large Heritage RIR's do not engage him for very long. He likes to escape his pen.... He is very gentle around humans though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by