How do you get dog obedience training in rural areas??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wischickenlover, May 16, 2009.

1. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    I live basically in the middle of nowhere. I have asked and searched and there are no obediance trainers within 90 min. of me!!! How can I train my Great Pyr properly without help??

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Is there a PetsMart anywhere nearby? Many of them offer obedience classes. Worked wonders on my dog.

3. wischickenlover

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    I wish...closest one is 2 hours away!

4. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Go to AKC.org. Follow the link to Clubs. Then choose the type of club you want (obedience). Then select the state you're looking for.
    The clubs will be listed as "Specialty" or "All Breed". The specialty clubs are clubs that include only one breed (I saw at least one for Great Pyrs in WI).
    You can contact the Pyr club or any All Breed club near you to see if they offer obedience classes or can refer you someone who does.
    Good Luck!

5. wischickenlover

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    Great info, Sunnychooks-I will check that out!! Thanks!

6. wischickenlover

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    I just checked on it-its what I was afraid of-way too far away, but will call and see if they can recommend anyone. To put this into perspective....I live in far northern WIS and the area is so rural, the largest city within an hour is Ladysmith with a population of 3,900. And theres nothing there.

7. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Short answer: you drive.

Almost every dog training class I've taken has been a commute.

The classes I've taken have been anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hrs away from me. I drive farther than that for clinics.

I've known some dog fanatics who have driven over 3 hrs each way for a class that they attend weekly.

Basic dog training books can get you started, though. I really like My Smart Puppy and Good Owner Great Dogs for basic doggy manners and for developing a good working foundation that will help with all other kinds of training (sports etc).

8. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Put an ad out in your papers, and perhaps on craigslist, as local vets...looking for dog trainer to help with obedience.... Ask for references, and if you are a kid - have an adult help you! You don't want to get yourself into a situation that is uncomfortable or dangerous. We are in rural WV, and there aren't any classes here either, but there are a few individuals with training experience that you can hire to help you. Good luck!! All else fails - buy a book and work on your own!

9. wischickenlover

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    Driving 2hours each way is not an option for me-I work 50-60 hours a week and then have kids to run around. It just wouldnt work. And my car isnt in the best shape either. I think I will take out an ad and go that route.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by