how do you get hens to lay eggs in the nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobthebunny, Aug 2, 2014.

1. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    Hi this is my first time starting a thread. I have 6 hens 1 has already started laying eggs one started today she put her egg in our shed. 1 of my other hens I know has started laying but I cant find her eggs. I try to keep her in the coop all day but she gives me such a sad look I just cant keep her in. I have 8 nesting boxes all nice and dark and I replaced the hay yesterday I've tried letting the other 5 out and keep her in but she looked so lonely that I let her out. Please help me.
    Thanks

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Fake eggs/golf balls are one of the most effective methods.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Do you have a run attached to your coop so they can't free-range all the time? That might be best. I really can't help you much as I don't believe in free-ranging. But what you can do is to watch them each day..see where they head to...they will lay eggs in the oddest places! Have you put a golf ball or fake egg in the nesting boxes? That will sometimes entice them to lay in them. Eight nesting boxes?? Gee, how many hens do you have?

4. bobthebunny

Aug 2, 2014
    yes I have a fake egg in every box. And they free-range in my backyard and barn and I search almost everyday. thanks for your advice.

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    How many hens do you have?

6. bobthebunny

Aug 2, 2014
    6. 1 has figured out the boxes and layed eggs there. The rest are clueless.

7. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I have 6 hens and 3 nesting boxes, and they usually lay in 1 box. When we built the coop, I had no idea that 1 box for 4-5 chickens was enough. I have an enclosed run and I put a ceramic egg in each box, prior to them laying. I guess I was lucky...they all used their nesting box the first time. How old are your hens? Maybe that one hen is the only one laying since you haven't found any more eggs and hopefully the other hens will start laying in the boxes. Like iwiw60 said, they do lay in the oddest places, so if they are laying, you may not have found their spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by