1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you get Lavender plumage, and is this a Lav chick?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shandiane78, Mar 26, 2011.

1. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Does this chickie appears to be Lavender color? I have two like this. What do you think? Also, can anyone tell me how one would go about breeding Lavender plumage (on purpose, lol)?

My Lav looking chicks are from a Splash Ameraucana roo and hen possibilities are:

Barred Rock x BW Ameraucana
    Blue Sex Link x BW Ameraucana (I'm not entirely sure what was used to make the Blue Sex Link.)
    Buckeye (I doubt it, but since my BW Ameraucana crosses both lay tan eggs, I can't tell theirs apart from the Buckeyes.)

TIA!

[​IMG]

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Lavender is recessive so you have to have a lavender parent or grandparent to have lavender plumage. that appears splash not lavender

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That is a blue Easter Egger.

Splash x any other sort of color not containing blue genes just makes blue based colors. Your chick is likely to grow up blue with some color leakage.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have never heard of a blue sex link.

You can not just "make" a lavender bird. BOTH parents of the bird must have the Lavender gene to pass it on to the chick.

5. shandiane78

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Quote:My Barred Rock x BW Ameraucana is solid blue, so doesn't she have blue genes? And what about the Blue Sex Link x Blue Wheaten Ameraucana?

I have had some blue colored EEs before, and they were much darker. To me these chicks look just like all the pics I find of Lavender chicks.

6. shandiane78

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Quote:After looking at pics of splash chicks, some have a yellowish tinge, with darker spots (some of my chicks look like this also), but then some do look like these more silvery (lavender-esque) ones that I have, so I guess the are probably splash?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:My Barred Rock x BW Ameraucana is solid blue, so doesn't she have blue genes? And what about the Blue Sex Link x Blue Wheaten Ameraucana?

I have had some blue colored EEs before, and they were much darker. To me these chicks look just like all the pics I find of Lavender chicks.

Ah I see what you meant by the parentage. . . . The chick is still blue, just a lighter blue, making it appear to be a Lavender but really isn't. That's the ticket here - Crossing splash and blue often gives very light blues that look similar to Lavender, because again, Lavender is recessive, cannot be made, and requires both parents to be Lavender. [​IMG]

8. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Or both parents could be split to lavender - any chance of that with the parents of these two chicks?

9. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    sorry to reserect an old thread but curious

how can one determin if there birds have the LAV gene?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    1) you know one parent is lavender
    2) they have the lavender/self-blue phenotype and breed like lavenders (100% if bred to another lavender, 50/50 if bred to a black split for lavender, 100% black if bred to a black who is not split for lavender)
    3) expensive DNA testing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by