1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you get pics of iridescence?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by joneus, Dec 30, 2011.

1. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    the sun was shining *just* right on my "black" EE, Bowling Ball, today & I swear she has purple stripes going across her green iridescent feathers. At first I thought it was a trick of the light, but they were on every single feather on her back & wings. I moved individual feathers around to be sure- the stripes didnt move or disappear they way they would if it was just the light.

I'm not much of a photographer, but- how do you get a picture of that? Its really cool!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Exactly as you see it [​IMG]

Get the bird in some light, but make sure the light (preferably sun [​IMG] is at a high angle/elevation otherwise you'll get more white sheen than iridescence. Make sure your camera gets good color too because a camera's ability to capture high quality, high spectrum color is a must.

3. joneus

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Thanks!!

Okay... the sky has clouded over, but most of the stripes are still visible, so I took some pics with the macro setting and a soft flash. I couldnt get a good shot of the total effect, but these should give you the idea:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I knew she had some purple iridescent feathers, but hadn't noticed the stripes before.

*giggle* I have a stripey Bowling Ball... or rather, a "marble colored Bowling Ball."

Chickens are cool!

4. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    I LOVE your Orange and white one in the back ground!!!!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's a Wheaten color you see in the background.

The best to do is photograph her whole body, like the last photo, but on a sunny day in the summer or late spring.

6. joneus

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Quote:Thanks! Thats Brittany Louise!

Quote:Will I be able to get a clear photo of something so subtle from a distance? I only saw it this morning because the sun was just right and she was literally standing on my feet. The pics I posted were taken in my kitchen while I was holding her under one arm. (<--ETA)

I guess I'll have to add: "chasing my chickens around with a camera on a sunny day" to my list of hobbies. [​IMG] This could be a fun adventure!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  7. DebiSmith

DebiSmith Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    [​IMG] These are great - love how you brought out the hidden glories of the feathers

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I just love black birds, the sheen on their feathers is amazing! You're EE is beautiful. Here's a picture of my big, black Cochin boy standing in the sun looking gorgeous...
    [​IMG]

9. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I love to take pictures of my black Cochin cockerel Onyx. Your chooks feathers are so cool! The stripes are neat! [​IMG]

10. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I love black critters precisely for their iridescence.

Do you have Photoshop? You could try applying a HDR filter (high dynamic range) to your picture. It'll (should!) bring out some of the subtleties (sp?) of the iridescence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by