How do you get pics of iridescence?

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
the sun was shining *just* right on my "black" EE, Bowling Ball, today & I swear she has purple stripes going across her green iridescent feathers. At first I thought it was a trick of the light, but they were on every single feather on her back & wings. I moved individual feathers around to be sure- the stripes didnt move or disappear they way they would if it was just the light.

I'm not much of a photographer, but- how do you get a picture of that? Its really cool!

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
Exactly as you see it
wink.png

Get the bird in some light, but make sure the light (preferably sun
wink.png
is at a high angle/elevation otherwise you'll get more white sheen than iridescence. Make sure your camera gets good color too because a camera's ability to capture high quality, high spectrum color is a must.

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
Thanks!!

Okay... the sky has clouded over, but most of the stripes are still visible, so I took some pics with the macro setting and a soft flash. I couldnt get a good shot of the total effect, but these should give you the idea:

IMGP2650.jpg
IMGP2653.jpg
IMGP2649.jpg
IMGP2660.jpg

I knew she had some purple iridescent feathers, but hadn't noticed the stripes before.

*giggle* I have a stripey Bowling Ball... or rather, a "marble colored Bowling Ball."

Chickens are cool!

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
That's a Wheaten color you see in the background.

The best to do is photograph her whole body, like the last photo, but on a sunny day in the summer or late spring.

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
Quote:
Thanks! Thats Brittany Louise!

Quote:
Will I be able to get a clear photo of something so subtle from a distance? I only saw it this morning because the sun was just right and she was literally standing on my feet. The pics I posted were taken in my kitchen while I was holding her under one arm. (<--ETA)

I guess I'll have to add: "chasing my chickens around with a camera on a sunny day" to my list of hobbies.
lol.png
This could be a fun adventure!

Last edited:

howfunkyisurchicken

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Tn
I just love black birds, the sheen on their feathers is amazing! You're EE is beautiful. Here's a picture of my big, black Cochin boy standing in the sun looking gorgeous...
86165_121311102525.jpg

KBlue

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Katy, TX
I love black critters precisely for their iridescence.

Do you have Photoshop? You could try applying a HDR filter (high dynamic range) to your picture. It'll (should!) bring out some of the subtleties (sp?) of the iridescence.

Top Bottom