How do you get rid of hawks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Telamon, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    There are alot of hawks around here sometimes eating our chickens. Please help.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Easy. You keep your birds in a pen that has a cover over it. The hawks can't get to them.

Problem solved.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:x2

4. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    I know that, but when they see hawks they start running around and making noise like crazy and it gets annoying.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    You don't. Unless you A: apply for the permit in order to shoot them. B: illegally harm them. Remember, they are federally protected and fines are HUGE. Also, nature abhors a vacuum, so killing one will just suck another into the opened up territory.

If they are safe and just fussing, big deal. Mine fuss whenever a swallow or crow flies by. They are just reacting to a potential aerial threat.

I find it funny that people have so many issues with birds of prey. Just the other afternoon I was on the porch watching my chickens free range in the tall grass. A coopers hawk was flying over the fields looking for a meal, dipping and weaving. It passed right over my birds and eventually found itself a nice rodent. Considering the chickens would have been easy prey, it must be hard for most chicken owners to realize that NOT every bird of prey is out to eat your chickens.

6. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    You don't. Unless you A: apply for the permit in order to shoot them. B: illegally harm them. Remember, they are federally protected and fines are HUGE. Also, nature abhors a vacuum, so killing one will just suck another into the opened up territory.

If they are safe and just fussing, big deal. Mine fuss whenever a swallow or crow flies by. They are just reacting to a potential aerial threat.

x2. I would especially emphasize the comment that killing one just draws another one into a vacant niche.​

7. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Quote:Exactly why I got out of the rodent business and into chickens!

8. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    It has been said by BYC'ers wiser and more experienced than I that crows in the vicinity will keep hawks away. Apparently crows are the nemesis of hawks, so encourage crows to stay in the area and you may help reduce or eliminate the problem.

How to do that, I'm not sure. Maybe have a feeder with whole grain corn in it or cracked corn. I'm sure others can help with that idea.

Good luck.

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    which part of the world you live in? Some countries allowed culling of hawks.

10. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:Agreed. I free ranged for years and never lost one to a bird of prey. [​IMG] I don't know why so many people have a hatred for hawks, falcons, owls, etc. They really are magnificant birds!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by