How do you get standard cochins to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Michele, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Michele

Michele Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Roachdale, Indiana
    I have blue, black and splash standard cochins that were born in late March and I still can't get them to lay. I have several other hens and I have never had this problem. I have them on Kent extra egg layer feed. Are cochins terrible layers? What can I do?
    Thanks for you help!

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I've heard cochins are late to mature but they should be laying be now. You could threaten to shave their leg feathers off.

3. Michele

May 31, 2008
    Roachdale, Indiana
    If shaving their feathers would work I would try it! I have been waiting a long time for eggs and I have spent several dollars to raise blue cochins-I am wondering if I should just sell and take my losts!

4. redoak

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Have you checked for possible hidden eggs? Do they squat when you pet them? Have their combs and waddles turned a bright red?

5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    At this point I would try supplemental light. Give them 14 hrs. if possible. We started a light at 3 a.m. and shut it off by 8 a.m. when the sun was stronger and then let the sunset put them to bed. 2 wks. later my 25 wk. old hens finally started laying. I thought it was never going to happen.

6. Michele

May 31, 2008
    Roachdale, Indiana
    Yes, their combs were bright red, but as time has gone by their combs are getting dull. I don't think it could be hidden eggs because they are in a new coop and are fenced in and I should have atleast 5 of them laying. The nest doesn't even look like anything has been in it. I live in Indiana and daylight is just now starting to shorten. What is it about them when you pet them?
    Thanks for everyones help!
    Michele

7. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Have you tried singing to them? [​IMG]

8. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    My one standard Cochin that is old enough to lay, didnt start laying til 7 1/2 months of age. Now she lays an egg almost every day. Yours are about the same age, so I would give them a little more time.

9. redoak

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    If they are getting ready to lay they squat it's the hen "getting ready" for the rooster to do his thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by