How do you get them to drink water with vitamins in it????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aliprowl, Dec 18, 2010.

1. aliprowl

aliprowl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Northern Westchester
    I think my hens need vitamins, so ordered Rooster Booster "Vitamins & Electrolytes with Lactobacillus". It's a powder you add to their drinking water. But it turns the water yellow,
    and has a definitely odor (not unpleasant) to it. My girls gawked at the water bowl, one took a tiny taste and the rest fled. Has anybody else experienced this? Do I just force them into it by not offering regular water, and if they don't drink it, they go thirsty? That's a little scary. I was planning to worm them via their water after they've had a few days of vitamins, and now I'm worried that they won't drink the water with the wormer in it. AAARGH! Ideas??

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

When I give the birds vitamins, I add it to their water and they drink it. I've never had anybody not drink because of the vitamins. I belive the kind I have are Durvet. They sort of smell like carrots.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    At first mine were unsure too, I use the vitamin electrolyte mix occasionally and at first they were not liking it. But I had a lathargic pullet that I kept cooped up for a few days and the only water she had was the mixed and she drank it. Now? They all LOVE the chicken gatorade hehe. Give it some time one curious chicken will try it and the rest will follow [​IMG] I would put out 2 mixed waterers and one source of clean non mixed water.

4. aliprowl

aliprowl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Northern Westchester
    thanks for the advice! Funny, I was also thinking it looked and smelled like Gatorade. Will hang in there but will add a bucket of plain water as well.
    I guess any kind of change throws them a bit. I would certainly be suspicious if my water suddenly changed colors; smart girls!

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Very true and next time put in 1/4 dosage, then 1/2 and work up to full dosage over a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by