1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you get turkeys to trust you

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by samandmike, Jul 27, 2011.

1. samandmike

samandmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    i have 2 rp about 1 1/2 month old when i feed and water thay freek out and flap all over the pen dont try to atack just scared so how do you stop that what do you use for treats will that work to just hold feed in hand and try to wate them out

2. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Time

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Getting down to their level helps a lot. Hand feeding helps too but again, stay low.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sit in one spot and throw treats like bread, broccoli, corn etc...... My problem is how to get them off of you, [​IMG] They see the food cart and it's a stampede and then I get mugged...... [​IMG]

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Yeah, my problem would be getting up!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  6. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    All great ideas. I take TIME with my birds. I sit down so I don't look so big and I talk to them. I don't handle them, but YOU can and that will help with getting them to trust you (should start when they are small). I'm also picky about consistency...you got to do it all the time. They will get used to seeing you and start to run to you automatically when they see you.

7. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    Don't eat them:lau:lau

8. Kelsey2017

Kelsey2017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    I truly thought my birds were going to be more wild. They did the same thing for a long time and I didn't really even try to make them tame. I think they know that the majority of us will fall hopelessly in love and not be able to eat them! Then once they have won you over then they compete for cuteness, shameless brown nosing but I do believe it works. I can see now that I will always have a turkey in my life - those little buggers are so sweet. I have never had an animal "tame" themselves before but thats what they did. Give it time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by