How do you get your chicks to eat starter crumble?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by magicpigeon, Dec 28, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    My hens are free range and only grudgingly come to eat pellets. Most of their diet is either grass fed or scratch. How can I get her chicks to eat starter? My hen was raised by a literally WILD chicken [​IMG] I want her chickens to inherit the "Chicken vs. Wild" traits but want them to be healthy as well. Do I have to separate them? Or just feed their Ma starter as well?[​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Ya know my entire flock is free ranged and i feed flock raiser in the crumble forum when i have chicks so everyone gets to eat,

i never use medicated feed as they free range entirely and are never penned in together, i have never had an out break of anything here in the 30 years i have had chickens.

Do ya have any photos of your pretties to share?

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    LOL nothing much yet. I've got 24 chicks under a surrogate Ma due on the 5th of Jan and another lot on the 17th [​IMG]

Here is a pic I just found on my photobucket account. It's quite old but you can see surrogate Ma coming out from the bushes and "real" Ma is only 4 months old in this one! She's the partridge. I bred her with the white roo in the pic also so I'm interested to see what colors will come out [​IMG]

ETA I forgot to post the pic! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Toss a bit of crumbles to mom like it is a treat, she will call babies to eat once she approves of it.

Really, if your adults are healthy free ranging, her chicks will be also. [​IMG]

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:[​IMG] WoW they are BeAuTiFuLLLLLLLL [​IMG]

6. theprimouomo

theprimouomo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    What I Did When My Chicks Were 3 Days Old ....that I Had To Put My Index Finger In There Feed And Pick It With My Finger
    And It Worked Perfect ...why The The Index Finger U Shall Ask Because The Index Finger Is Similer To The Hens Peek They Thought That My Finger Was The Guide To Food And I Didt Once And It Worked Untill Today :d

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by