How do you get your eggs to stand point down at first?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kysilkies, May 9, 2009.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Do ya'll use anything to help keep the pointy ends down in your bator?...And when it means down, is that straight up and down or just more that way than the other?...

We're newbs, be gentle and thanx in advance! [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Use a paper egg carton, or a plastic egg tray. If you aren't using either of these, lay them down horizontally.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I set mine in an egg carton with the top torn off. Then at day 18 I gently lay them on the bator floor. If your bator does not have a turner you can slightly elevate one side of the carton with a towel and just switch ends 2 or 3 times a day. This has worked great for me in the past. Good luck!

4. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh and if I haven't said so all ready [​IMG]

5. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Thanx ya'll! Will the styrofoam egg cartons work or will they put off chems we don't want?!?!..

6. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am not sure about that. I have always used paper, but someone else will hopefully know the answer.

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I always use styrofoam because they don't absorb moisture and smell. I have been using them for 3 years now with no trouble. I also hatch my chicks in the same cartons. Just move from the incubator to the hatcher, then toss.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

On the other hand... Styrofoam can really limit the amount of 'breathing' the egg can do in my opinion. I only use paper cartons... I have no scientific proof, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  9. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    THANK YOU! Done!...I feel much better seeing them that way too!...

I thought about that chris and cuts holes in the bottom and sides to just give as much support as possible without excess egg touching the styro...I hope that's ok...

Last edited: May 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by